STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Start Your Own FREE Email List at http://www.listbot.com/links/joinlb

 "U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, also speaking at the conference, said
one focus for defensive planning was the upcoming 2002 winter Olympic Games
in Salt Lake City, Utah.

"We are doing everything we can to make sure people from all over the world
can come to the games and bring their families and enjoy the excitement of
world class athletic competition while feeling safe and secure," Ashcroft
said. "

<A HREF="aol://4344:30.L100cizs.7244271.679358236"> 07/11: AOL News: FBI
predicts major U.S. terrorist attack</A>

{ "Satire" Wanta  send this story to another AOL member? Click on the Gary
heart at the top of this  broken window explorer...}

FBI predicts major U.S. terrorist attack

By Letitia Stein

WASHINGTON, July 11 (Reuters) - The FBI predicts terrorists will launch a
major attack on American interests abroad every year for the next five years
and believes an attack using a weapon of mass destruction is likely at home,
an official said on  Wednesday.

"We predict one major terrorist attack against U.S. interests overseas, one
per year for the next five years, Assistant Director Dale Watson of the FBI
Counterterrorism Division told a National Governors Association conference.

"I'm not a gloom-and-doom type person, but I will tell you this, what I see
and what most smart people see, the United States is headed for a (weapons of
mass destruction) incident inside the United States," he said.

The conference was organized as part of efforts to help states prepare and
coordinate with federal agencies for the possibility of terrorist attacks.

U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft, also speaking at the conference, said
one focus for defensive planning was the upcoming 2002 winter Olympic Games
in Salt Lake City, Utah.

"We are doing everything we can to make sure people from all over the world
can come to the games and bring their families and enjoy the excitement of
world class athletic competition while feeling safe and secure," Ashcroft
said.

A bomb explosion at the 1996 Olympic games in Atlanta killed one woman and
injured more than 120 people.

U.S. officials have stepped up their planning for possible domestic attacks
since the bombings of the Oklahoma City federal building in 1995 and World
Trade Center in 1993.

Watson said the Federal Bureau of Investigation daily tracks an average of 25
threats from terrorists against U.S. targets at home and abroad.

In the last year, 257 of these involved a weapon of mass destruction, meaning
a chemical, biological or nuclear weapon. That was seven times the number in
1996.

The No. 1 threat was from exiled Saudi dissident Osama bin Laden, accused by
the United States of masterminding the 1998 bombing of two U.S. embassies in
East Africa and other attacks on U.S. interests.

Watson said a major attack in the United States would be a "crown jewel" for
bin Laden and his followers.

Many at the conference said states still were not fully prepared for a major
domestic attack.

West Virginia Gov. Robert Wise Jr. told the conference on

Tuesday that his state was far better prepared to respond to natural
disasters, like flash floods that devastated the state over the weekend, than
man-made catastrophes like terrorism.

18:36 07-11-01

Copyright 2001 Reuters Limited.  All rights reserved.  Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is
expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.  Reuters
shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any
actions taken in reliance thereon.  All active hyperlinks have been inserted
by AOL.