STOP NATO: ¡NO PASARAN! - HTTP://WWW.STOPNATO.ORG.UK

--------------------------- ListBot Sponsor --------------------------
Sopranos fanatics, this one is for you.  Tony Soprano's autographed
Suburban is available for purchase on eBayTM.  James Gandolfini has
personally signed the vehicle.  Find this and over 800 other Sopranos
items for sale on eBay.
http://www.bcentral.com/listbot/ebay

  <A HREF="aol://4344:30.L100d4wm.7251546.680016180"> 07/19: G8 ministers
finesse controversy over ABM</A>

G8 ministers finesse controversy over ABM

ROME, July 19 (Reuters) - Major power foreign ministers on Thursday asserted
a determination to promote "fundamental" arms control treaties, but in the
shifting disarmament debate their support was not as clear-cut as it might
seem.

Reflecting what some might call diplomatic finesse and others sleight of
hand, the Group of Eight industrial nations ministers' communique masked the
controversy raging over the Bush administration's plan to get rid of the 1972
Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty.

"We welcome efforts to strengthen international arms control and
non-proliferation regimes and reaffirm our determination to promote
compliance with, and the universality of, the fundamental treaties related to
weapons of mass destruction, and to contribute to the implementation of the
conclusions of the conference held in the year 2000 on the Nuclear
Non-proliferation Treaty," they said.

While the communique, issued after a two-day meeting in Rome, did not define
"fundamental" treaties, the international community has long held that the
ABM pact, which limits missile defences, was a cornerstone of strategic
stability.

But President George W. Bush, in a move that has forced the world to rethink
the whole strategic structure, has pressed forward with plans for missile
defences that aides say will in months "bump up against" the ABM treaty
constraints.

He envisions a system of ground, sea and air-based systems that would defend
the United States against enemy missiles from such "rogue states" as North
Korea, Iran and Iraq.

Bush has dismissed the ABM Treaty as a Cold War "relic" and initiated
negotiations with Russia, the other ABM signatory, to modify the accord or
replace it with something else.

If no agreement is forthcoming, Washington has asserted its intention to give
six months' notice and then withdraw.

When asked about the disarmament provision, U.S. Secretary of State Colin
Powell said at a news conference that the communique included no direct
reference to ABM.

At a closed-door discussion Thursday morning, Canadian Foreign Minister John
Manley talked about the need to preserve existing treaties.

U.S. officials said Powell responded, "We hear you, we understand you, but we
need to make quite clear that just because treaties exist, doesn't mean they
are immutable."

At that session and later at the news conference, Powell reiterated that the
United States has no intention of violating the ABM Treaty but instead would
-- when the time comes -- take advantage of a treaty provision that allows
for withdrawal on national security grounds.

09:22 07-19-01

Copyright 2001 Reuters Limited.  All rights reserved.  Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is
expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.  Reuters
shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any
actions taken in reliance thereon.  All active hyperlinks have been inserted
by AOL.