Hello list,

What are the options for building clustering storage using opensolaris? I'm
interested in HA solutions.

I tried only one option - AVS replication. Unfortunately, AVS configuration is
too complicated. Groups, bitmaps, queues, rcp timeouts, slicing - it's just a
nightmare to make it work and support in production when there are more that a
couple of pools. And probably it's gonna be slow if there are jbods attached to
a storage controller, or will require half of Ethernet ports to replicated more
or less reliably. 10Gige interface for it - did anybody try?

Another option I'm looking into is sending snapshots. But regardless what we've
heard from sun - it's gonna slow down zfs operations. Creating a snapshot is
not quick on loaded pool, especially if storage controller manages many pools.
So, it's probably dozens of minutes delays in transferring snapshots over to a
standby server.

--
Roman