Wall-E

To anyone that has been living under a rock (including me), WALL-E
was/is the best movie produced since Ratatouille. I'm constantly
astonished by how polished, heartfelt, intelligent, witty and fun
Pixar movies are, and they keep outdoing themselves. Pixar is setting
the high water mark for cinema as art, as far as I'm concerned.

Pixar's work should shame Hollywood.

--

Tropic Thunder was a so-so comedy, with one standout caveat: there's
a scene with Ben Stiller involving a land mine that took a flying

--

Tekkonkinkreet.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/tekkonkinkreet/

A somewhat ham-handed metaphor for yin/yang/balance, but very
charming characters and action sequences. Kids might "get" the
message here, where they might not have with a more subtle approach.
Occasionally violent, but in retrospect, not nearly as violent as
HellBoy2, which seems like it's trying to hit that preteen market.

--

HellBoy2. Crap.

I don't know what else to say. Nice set design, nice creature design,
everything else was idiotic.

--

Fallout 3 - xbox 360

Smart, beautiful, violent. Good job by Malcolm McDowell, Liam Neeson
and Ron Pearlman on voice acting duties. It's a alternate reality
where the 50's vision of the "nuclear age" comes to pass, and then
gets blown up. The linear story you're meant to follow was alright,
although the ending isn't very satisfying. The world itself, on the
other hand, it populated with 10x more characters and side stories
than you'll see by following the beaten path. Packed full of 50's
music, art deco architecture, mock 50's propaganda, ray guns, robots,
mutants and Mad Max-like scrap architecture. Definitely an experience.

--

The New Pornographers

Can't get enough of them lately. Poppy guitars, beautiful harmonies,
catchy choruses, odd prog-rock time signatures in places. I just
don't know who to compare them to. My brother suggested a modern
Beach Boys, but I was never much into the BB's.

The last two albums are genius: Challengers and Twin Cinema.

I find the first album, Mass Romantic, to be grating. Maybe it's me,
but I prefer the direction they've taken in later albums.

--
Michael