On 26-05-2010 at 13:22, Nikolaos Giannopoulos wrote:
> -->  At least 3 "specific" "key" reasons why "their choice" of
> templating engine was selected over JSPs and built-in TLDs?

At my work, the choice is usually made due to a simple criterion:
        "Will it be used outside screen rendering?"

If no, only the choice of web framework (e.g. Tapestry for a large leasure
company) can dissuade us from using JSP's and tag files.

If yes, it's usually easier to use another templating engine for the things
we build. The criteria:
- it must do EL path expressions (or similar)
- it must be able to (re)use tag libraries
- it should do custom tags, snippets or whatever they're called

Freemarker fits this list well enough.

Just my 0.02...

Oscar

--