On 03-10-2010 at 14:42, amagha wrote:

> I've never used Maven and would love a link to a good primer on why and how
> to use it.  Anyone have any suggestions?  In the mean time, I'll check out
> the Apache Maven page.

Something I've not seen on any website (not even on the Apache Maven page),
is the most compelling reason a developer wants to use maven. After all, why
bother, if you have a working ant build? If it ain't broke, don't fix it,
right?

Despite that, I'm very happy to have switched to Maven. Not because a pom.xml
file is easier to read or write than an ant script (it's a different angle,
not easier or more difficult IMHO). For me, the main reason to use Maven is
its dependency mechanism.

Yes, the plugins are nice, but ant tasks get the job done too. Having an
online repository is a help, but a share with most used libraries works too.
Maven's dependency mechanism is something else though.

The main advantages:
- Transitive dependencies (i.e. the dependencies of dependencies) are
  included automatically.
- You can have different dependencies for compilation, testing and running
  the application. This to accommodate differences like jars available in the
  application server, jars needed for unit tests and jars needed to run the
  application.
- Maven handles all dependencies, in that it collects them and places them in
  the correct locations, adds them to the classpath during compilation and
  testing, etc.
- That Maven can handle any build as dependency (i.e. also .war, .ear, .rar,
  .sar files) is just icing on the cake.

Oscar

--
   ,-_