On 18-10-2010 at 13:40, andres wrote:
> I want to ask, if anyone has used Stripes for portlets (JSR 168, JSR 286)
> and if there is a way to use it with portal server (websphere).
> We have one web application done with Stripes and we want run it like a
> portlet on websphere portal server.
> if anyone knows the subject or may give clues would greatly appreciate it.
> Thanks, greetings

I doubt if anyone has used Stripes for portlets, as servlets and portlets
have an entirely different ecosystem around them (servlet container vs.
portal). Also note that the portlet request cycle is different: action
processing and rendering is separated.

Also, much depends on the portlet version being used. The first specification
doesn't allow extra resources such as CSS files, images, etc. and should be
avoided (although I realize this choice is not always available). The
portlets 2 and WSRP 2 specifications do allow these things, and thus can
support Stripes.

To make Stripes work with portlets would require these steps:
1. Convert the StripesFilter to a portlet filter.
2. Convert the StripesDispatcher servlet to a portlet (it mainly handles the
   lifecycle and lets other classes to the work, so this should be doable).
3. In the dispatcher portlet, store the Resolution obtained from the event
   handling, so it can be used during the rendering phase.

As an added bonus, you'll need to:
- resolve redirects (impossible for portlets),
- ensure that the Resolution instance can be infinitely reused,
- be aware that rendering properties can and will be stored (and thus reused)
  by the portal server, making selecting the default handler trickier

Oscar

--
   ,-_  Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind      http://www.xs4all.nl/~kindop/
  /() )