Hi Will, folks,

> That said, I don't agree with the plugins concept at all.

To be honest, I also think a clean dependency mechanism + some centralized
docs would be enough.
Anyway, it's a nice to have, as it allows beginners to have no ramp up.
Simply list plugins, install them, it adds the deps, classes and updates
your web.xml.
Even if many Stripers won't probably use it once they are used to the
framerwork, consider it a selling feature.

> If those are included then, regardless of original intent, users will
think that these are "first class" citizens of Stripes, and that the
> there is some obligation for the maintainer of Stripes core to maintain
these as well."

Well, everything is subjective, but clearly some of the "extensions" will be
first class citizens. Think about what's already in the core and will be
moved (e.g. Spring integration). Now, I've never said that ALL extensions
should be included to the main repo and built along with the framework. I
think every extension, once it gets popular, stable etc., turns into a good
candidate for integration into the "offficial" extensions of the framework.

> There's also the issue of code segregation, IP rights, and commit access.

Yep, but on the other hand it ensures that all parts are consistent when new
versions are released, that they have the same license, and that they are
managed by the same group of developers. Last, it could drag new coders into
the framework. And again, it doesn't mean that evey extension has to be
there, just the ones that have been approved by the community. You can still
write your separate, third party extension if you want, and distribute it
the way you want.

In short, think about how life would be if Spring's codebase contained only
core container, and everything else (JDBC, JMS, ...) was scattered around
the web... Different builds, different policies of maven sync, different
websites... admin drag you said ?
:P

That's the way all projects handle scalability of the codebase : they split
stuff into modules.
I guess Stripes is now at that point, and it's a good sign.

> There's no reason to repaint the whole thing or re-engineer it from the
ground up [...]

Not sure you talk about the modularization of the build here.
If you do, c'mon... the build already exists, there's nothing to do. I'd say
half a day work, not a class file touched, only a few moves...
>From the ground up ???

> There's always stuff to do. Leverage the processes in place [...]

That's exactly what I'm trying to do :)

Cheers

Remi