Date formatting is usually something that's done by the view component in a
typical MVC model. I'm not sure that the Stripes ActionBean is the right place
to solve this problem.

What we usually do is that we take the Date object up and until the view layer,
then format it with JSTL on our JSP pages, e.g.

 <f:formatDate value="${user.registrationDate}"/>

If you find repeating yourself a lot, you could just create a special JSP tag
for yourself. Or an EL function, if you're on a fairly recent spec level.

/Janne