Hi

Have you considered using range support ?

http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/specs/rfc7233.html

It allows a client to specify a range of the resource to be fetched, so
that the resource can be downloaded in "chunks".

Stripes does provide support for Ranges :
http://stripes.sourceforge.net/docs/current/javadoc/net/sourceforge/stripes/action/StreamingResolution.html#setRangeSupport(boolean)

Most media players / download tools (even the browsers) implement ranges
client-side. For example, when you browser downloads a large file, the
download may be interrupted several times without you even noticing it. The
browser uses ranges to resume the download from where it last stopped.

Cheers

RĂ©mi