I have absolutely zero knowledge of those OSGI servers, but as soon as they
manage class (re)loading etc, I guess that Stripes "Virtual File System"
gets confused.

This is one of the major issues today with Stripes IMHO, the VFS. We
already have regular JEE servers that we don't support, so I guess OSGI is
even worse :/

Classpath scanning is done by the class :
net.sourceforge.stripes.vfs.DefaultVFS

Maybe you could configure the logs to DEBUG for this logger and see what it
outputs ? This (plus an explanation of the "war" contents) would help to
understand where it fails.

Cheers

Remi