IIRC, there was a security issue in 1.5.7 that was fixed in 1.5.8 so you
should upgrade.

As for the layouts, you should probably just switch to the older buffered
layout tags. The streaming layout tags introduced somewhere in the 1.5.x
series are very complex and have been problematic on some platforms
(although I've never had any problems on Tomcat). You can switch to
buffered layouts by changing your layout tag URL to
http://stripes.sourceforge.net/stripes-buffered-layout.tld .