I'm also very strongly in favor of this idea! Moreover, imo, Struts should include
some simple  pluggable security (Tomcat realm based perhaps)  adapter with default
implementation that wraps Tomcat's realms. I'm sure community will donate
implementations specific to other containers (WebSphere, WebLogic, etc.). This way
Struts app becomes more independent and portable between various containers so one
can develop and test his app including security stuff, for example, on Tomcat on his
personal box and then deploy the app with minimal hassle to shared test/production
servers that run, in our case, WebSphere & ServletExec. I'm sure a big chunk of
current Tomcat realm api's & implementation can be used as a base.