>> ** WEBLOGIC USERS ***
>>
>> We're adding a installation page to the Struts documentation package.
>> If any can playtest Robert's notes, or has any other additional
>> comments, please let us know as soon as possible.

I would like to add the following points:

- Servlet and JSP-Reloading should be turned off.
  (First, you pay a performance penalty. Depending on the number of JSPs,
   the number of requests and the configured checking interval, the server
   will slow down.
   Second, with JSP- and Servlet reloading, one opens the door for various
   weblogic classloader problems, that are difficult to diagnose, difficult
   to handle and often lead to lost HTTP-sessions.)

- Set the name of the sessionid to JSESSIONID, if cookies are used for
  session tracking and to jsessionid, if sessions are URL-based.
  (There are additional problems related to URL-based sessions, caused from
   BEA's way to encode the session id (J2EE-incompatible) as query-param.
   Especially <bean:include> will not work with URL-based sessions yet.
   However, using the correct session name solves at least some problems.)

- Configure the JSP-Servlet registration in weblogic.properties for
  maximum J2EE-compliance and/or for maximum performance.

  The JSP-Servlet supports some initialization parameters that can be
  customized to get best performance, maximum compliance or (as shown
  below) easier debugging:

  weblogic.httpd.initArgs.*.jsp=\
       pageCheckSeconds=-1,\
        setEmptyStrings=false,\
         compileCommand=./_jspCompiler_.cmd,\
             workingDir=/weblogic/myserver/tmp_classfiles,\
          keepgenerated=true,\
                  debug=true,\
                verbose=true

  In the above example, the batch file (_jspCompiler_.cmd) invokes jikes
  which results dramatically reduced startup times (jikes is about three
  times faster than javac.) The batchfile contains only a single line:

  @jikes -g -nowarn %*

  The next cinfiguration could be used when all tests have been done and
  speed is the major concern ...

  weblogic.httpd.initArgs.*.jsp=\
       pageCheckSeconds=-1,\
        setEmptyStrings=false,\
         compileCommand=./_jspCompiler_.cmd,\
             workingDir=/weblogic/myserver/tmp_classfiles,\
          keepgenerated=false,\
                  debug=false,\
                verbose=false

  ... together with ...

   @jikes -O -nowarn %*

   Weblogic supports similar settings through <context-params> in web.xml,
   (Please read the latest documentation at the BEA website for details.)

--
Matthias                        (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])