On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Cook, Levi wrote:

> Does using the local DTD require the DOCTYPE declaration to be modified??
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Levi Cook

No.  The XML parser looks at the public identifier (the part that starts
"-//Apache ..." to see if it has a local copy.  If so, the system
identifier (the URL) is totally ignored.

By the way, servlet containers do this for the web.xml DTD as well, which
is why (for example) you can run Tomcat disconnected from the Internet
without modifying any of your web.xml files.