I don't think it would be a problem to make you a Commons committer too.
I'm one, and so is Craig and Vincent, and perhaps others. If you want to
help maintain the codebase, no one's going to want to stop you ;-)

I haven't been active in the Commons since it was founded, but would
quickly toss you a +1 if someone brings you up for a vote.

Of course, the dual maintenance issues will eventually pass, as we start
more packages in the Commons to begin with, as is being done with the
workflow.