From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 12:22 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: DynaBean examples?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Will Jaynes wrote:

> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:37:15 -0500
> From: Will Jaynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: DynaBean examples?
>
> Does someone have any code demonstrating the use of the DynaBean stuff?
> I'm sure I want to use it, but I need a little kick-start.

One place to start would be to look at the unit test programs in the
commons-beanutils nightly source bundle.  But, fundamentally, it's not
totally different from how yo access properties using PropertyUtils, where
you might say:

  MyBean bean = ...;
  String name = PropertyUtils.getSimpleProperty(bean, "name");

you would instead say

  MyBean bean = ...;  // Must implement DynaBean
  String name = bean.get("name");

One very nice feature is that PropertyUtils has been enhanced to
understand DynaBeans internally, so you can actually use *either* syntax
in your application.  That way, all the Struts tags that already use
PropertyUtils will be able to auto-magically work with DynaBeans as well.

Look for a check-in of DynaActionForm (so that you can define the
properties of form beans without having to create a Java clas for every
one) real soon now ...