The tags use direct values or beans themselves to provide values for
offsets and such. Would be quite a bit of work to get them all to work
off bean properties instead, and there's the added decision of telling
the tag that it is to use the values of properties rather than bean refs
and values.

The nested tags are the same in this regard, as the rely on the original
tag to do its thang. When the original tags get the ability, the nested
tags will get the ability, but of course they'll add the ability to have
the property relative to the current nested bean level.

You can get around it though, by using the bean define, working on a
property to get a value into a bean reference, then use the bean name
for the offsets and such. And of course, when using the nested tags, the
bean define will be nested, so it's not like it can't be done. The
define tag can also put beans into whatever scope which is one of the
things that you're after.

Arron.