I'm looking for some constructive thoughts on use and/or over-use of xml
configuration within struts. The idea has been in my head for a while after
blowing up application's numerous times with that small typo in a config
file!

Some thoughts...
- Is it such a good idea to pour much of fundamental application design into
xml files?
- Should config files be confined to things such as database parameters?
- Tendency for xml config to become a mini programming language in itself
- Lacks type safety, syntax checking (ide / compiler)
- Ultimately gets parsed back into application config classes

The struts-config provides low-coupling, but could this be achieved more
easily and efficiently another way e.g. static initialisation of core
classes?

XML gives language independence - but struts is basically a homogenous java
environment, so I've lost sight of why I am designing my config in XML.

With the struts-config, you can easily swap new classes, and change
application parameters without recompiling, but this may actually hinder the
real burden of ensuring application integrity, regression testing etc.

I'm interested in different views on this to sway me one way or the other...

Regards
Paul Kelly