I think some enhancements to the MessagesTag are appropriate but before I
started coding a patch I thought I would get some developer opinions.  I
think it should support message resources keys in the same way that the
ErrorsTag does.  Instead of errors.* it would support
messages.header
messages.footer
messages.prefix
messages.suffix

The tag would use the header and footer keys if they aren't provided as
attributes.  This way you don't have to specify the key every time you use
the tag.

Also, it would be nice if there were a "scope" attribute that told the tag
what scope to look for the message bean in.  Currently, it looks in the
request but I would like to use the tag in a different way than the errors
tag.  It's fine for the errors tag to use the request because struts handles
forwarding back to the input page when ActionErrors are returned from a
form's validate() method.  However, the messages tag could be used to
display success messages on a page that you redirect to.  This is not
possible when the messages bean is in the request scope.

If the messages bean is allowed to be in a greater scope such as session or
application then it also makes sense to have a "remove" attribute that tells
the tag to remove the bean once it's printed the messages.  My preference is
to default this to true.

So, does anyone see value in these changes?  Should I make the effort to
implement them?

Dave