Eddie,
Why do you consider it bad to extend Object directly?  You also said you
prefer checked exceptions but I think that's missing the point of exception
handling.  A good article is here:
http://www.javaworld.com/jw-07-1998/jw-07-techniques.html

Not to be obvious but:

RuntimeExceptions are not "warnings", they indicate a client programmer
error (ie. misuse of a library method).  Checked exceptions indicate an
abnormal condition that a method could not handle and require you to catch
them, as opposed to returning an error code.

Dave