+1 on rename and deprecation.

David

From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modules vs. Sub-Applications
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:48:05 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Rob Leland wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:27:11 -0500
> From: Rob Leland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Modules vs. Sub-Applications
>

> Ted Husted wrote:
>
> > As these methods are really not part of the public API, could
> > we not just change them now and be done with it?
>

> Some are Public, however I would also vote
> +1 to rename them now.
>
> I agree with David and say lets go one intermediate
> step and deprecate them
> for struts 1.1B3 but to remove them before
> the next beta or Release candidate.
>
> That is what I propose to do with the
> StrutsValidator & StrutsValidatorUtil
> methods.
>
> This would not effect compatability between
> 1.0 & 1.1 and would give a grace period to people
> using the Beta3 or Nightly builds.
> If a user tries to upgrade to the final struts 1.1
> build, we could always suggest first going to the 1.1B3
> removing the deprecation warnings then going to 1.1 final.

I've come around to +1 on the rename+deprecation, but I'm not OK with
removing the old ones in 1.1 final. Reasoning: we did a public release
(1.1b2) with these APIs. If we'd only done nightlies, I would be OK with
the removal.

We can do a cleanup of deprecated stuff after 1.1 final and before the
first 1.2 milestone, similar to what we did after 1.0 and before 1.1b1.

Does that make sense?

> -Rob

Craig