Hi,

I actually had a similar problem with wanting to use Session scoped ActionForms and
not having them reset every time they were recycled by an Action.

The approach I took was to subclass ActionMapping to add a JavaBean property named
reset that can be set from the struts-config.xml and to subclass the RequestProcessor
and override processPopulate() to check for the value of my ActionMapping.getReset().

This makes it so I can choose whether or not reset the form-bean when a particular
Action is executed declaritive fashion from the struts-config.xml

The following are my code enhancements to attain this (I can fix them up a bit to
change the base ActionMapping and RequestProcessor and submit them as code
contributions to the project, if any of the committers think they are worthy):

ActionMapping (ClfyActionMapping) enchancements:
    /**
     * Flag used by AuthProcessor to determine if the form-bean for the Action
     * should execute the form.reset() method before forwarding
     */
    private boolean reset = true;

    public void setReset(String reset) {
       if (reset.equalsIgnoreCase("true")) {
          this.reset = true;
       }

       if (reset.equalsIgnoreCase("false")) {
          this.reset = false;
       }
    }

    public boolean getReset() {
       return this.reset;
    }

RequestProcessor (AuthProcessor) enhancements:
    /**
     * Populate the properties of the specified ActionForm instance from
     * the request parameters included with this request.  Also checks
     * the ActionMapping for the value of the reset flag to determine
     * if the ActionForm should be reset before processing the ActionForward.
     *
     * @param request The servlet request we are processing
     * @param response The servlet response we are creating
     * @param form The ActionForm instance we are populating
     * @param mapping The ActionMapping we are using
     *
     * @exception ServletException if thrown by RequestUtils.populate()
     */
    protected void processPopulate(HttpServletRequest request,
                                   HttpServletResponse response,
                                   ActionForm form,
                                   ActionMapping mapping)
        throws ServletException {

        if (form == null) {
            return;
        }

        // Recast ActionMapping to ClfyActionMapping and getReset()
        boolean reset = true;
        boolean bClfMapping = mapping instanceof ClfyActionMapping;
        if (bClfMapping) {
           ClfyActionMapping clfMapping = (ClfyActionMapping) mapping;
           reset = clfMapping.getReset();
        }

        // Populate the bean properties of this ActionForm instance
        if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
            log.debug(" Populating bean properties from this request");
        }
        form.setServlet(this.servlet);
        // Conditionally reset the ActionForm using reset in ClfyActionMapping
        if (reset == true) {
           form.reset(mapping, request);
        }
        if (mapping.getMultipartClass() != null) {
            request.setAttribute(Action.MULTIPART_KEY,
                                 mapping.getMultipartClass());
        }
        RequestUtils.populate(form, mapping.getPrefix(), mapping.getSuffix(),
                              request);

    }

Jason Rosen