I've updated that html taglib tags to output xhtml when they are nested in a <html:html xhtml="true"> tag. This was very simple to do and resulted in minor code changes. Users have suggested this approach:

1. Add Globals.XHTML_KEY which is a boolean request scoped attribute
2. html tags check for that request attribute being true and output accordingly.
3. The html:html tag sets this request attribute when it's xhtml attribute is true.

The second approach allows the tags to output xhtml without relying on the <html:html> tag. This allows people to construct pages with jsp includes. The first approach is logically clearer (to me) and you can use tiles to modularly construct the pages like includes. Approach 2 may be confusing because you would have to remember all the places you may have set that request attribute.

So, do we go with 1, 2 or both?

David