This is really a question for the Struts USER list.

There are a couple of extensions available for Struts 1.0 that
provide both client-side and server-side validations. One of
these, the Commons/Strtus Validator, is being bundled with Struts
1.1.

Questions regarding how to use any of these should be directed to
the USER list.

-Ted.