Eddie Bush wrote:
Erik Hatcher wrote:

There is no question that there are issues with forwarding with form population and such, and the known issue with multipart data (which is an isolated use-case anyway).

The multipart issues exists regardless of whether you are chaining or not - no? I was of the impression that was the case. The single thing I see (and it's entirely possible I'm being short-sighted) is that your form would be repopulated (which could be very evil to track down if you hadn't already thought through the possibility of it happening). Redirecting avoids this issue altogether by causing another request to be created.
We're talking a little non-sequitor here. Action chaining in no way is tied to whether I'm doing redirects or server-side forwards - either are possible with them.

But you are absolutely correct about these issues. I've not encountered them except with the multipart issue in a prior project. I don't modify a form bean in these actions. The only actions that modify a form bean in our system are the "setup" actions that populate a form prior to forwarding to the JSP, and those would always be at the end of a chain.

Just to clarify - I'm not chaining tons of stuff together, just for situations like I've mentioned. Generally speaking I'm doing "text book" Struts development, but I find that action chaining is very handy in certain situations, and I'm thankful that Struts actually allows it rather than forbid it altogether somehow.

Its really just food for thought for the next architecture as well as to gather ideas from others on how they implement similar needs.

Erik