I'm getting more than I bargained for here with the whole tiles aspect, so I might be done helping now that the complexity has gone up, but just a bit more here....

Brian Moseley wrote:
      <action path="/admin/role/EditFormPrepare"

type="net.covalent.spider.ui.action.portlet.admin.role.EditFormPrepareAction">
      </action>
You need name="..." for this action mapping. That should solve the issue, it seems.

all of these forwards execute in the context of the same RequestProcessor tho, right? so presumably the EditForm instance gets passed all the way down the forward chain through the tiles controller invocation mechanism to EditFormPrepareAction?
Yes, but only if you tell your action mapping the form bean associated with it, and from what you showed above, you don't.

is this an instance of "evil action chaining"? if so, what actually is the evil?
It was a joke. I dig action chaining. Others do not. See previous thread a few days ago.

yeah, there's no "cleaner" way that i can think of. my team is especially wary of using the session scope for managing page flow, so rewriting the forward path in the action is the least offensive hack :)
Or keeping the form bean around and using it. And I agree with the session scope page flow comment - its not necessary in my experience.

Erik