That bug states that validate required does not work with an ActionForm property with type java.lang.Integer. Indeed, I tested this with the struts-validator webapp's type form and required doesn't seem to run for that field when I changed it from String to Integer. What does happen is that a "0" shows up in the text box while the other fields remain blank and their required error messages are displayed.

Is this simply a usage limitation of the validator? One more reason to use Strings for all ActionForm properties? I'm guessing that 0 shows up because that's the default value for an Integer object when it's created. I don't know enough about this to close the bug as INVALID or fix it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave