Actually, I realized just after I sent this that if I took the required
part out and called it validwhen instead, you end up with a true general
purpose validation tool!  So that's the one I'm proposing.  Basically,
if you had a field lastName that was required if firstName was filled
in, you say:

((lastName != null) or (firstName == null))

I.e., the field is valid if it isn't null, or the firstName field is
null.

This means you can generate an error on a field based solely on the
values of other fields.

James