Sgarlata Matt wrote:

Robert Leland wrote:

Sgarlata Matt wrote:

What do you think? Would this be a reasonable enhancement request? Can I post it in BugZilla with patches?

Since you have talked about it on the struts-user group, and it looks like the existing system makes your
life harder, then open a Bugzilla request. What ever committer looks at the bug request will determine if the patch will be applied or modified.
[Patches] are always welcome and speed the process ! If possible patch against the current HEAD of struts source
code. Use the diff -u old new. I also like to use 'diff -u 5 old new' just to be sure.

I've never used CVS before so I don't know what you mean. What is the current HEAD of struts source code mean?

HEAD/CVS

The HEAD means the most current version of source code of by default the TRUNK.
This source can be downloaded from http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/src/

IF I had said 'submit patches against the HEAD of the STRUTS_1_1_BRANCH, then
you would have to use CVS directly to get to this source.

The Mozilla site has a nice graphic
http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/branching-2003-06-24.png
of  Trunks and Branches.

So if you would like provide patches against the most recient
source code, http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/src/
You can use the commons jars found in the struts nightly build
found at the binary is at http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly
to build and test your patches. If you haven't built struts before
the only file you'll need to modify is the build.properties file
which just a copy of the build.properties.sample file.

The Jakarta site says

cvs diff -u Main.java >> patchfile.txt

is preferred. Can I use that instead?

DIFF If you are NOT using CVS then you'll need to use the command

diff -u 4 file1.old.java file1.new.java  >> file1.diff
IF you are using windows then you'll need to install Cygwin
to get the 'diff' program.

If you are using are using CVS then I  yes use the
cvs diff -u 4 file1.java >> file1.diff command.

-Rob

-Rob

--
Robert Leland                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Java, J2EE, Struts, Web Application Development

804 N. Kenmore Street           +01-703-525-3580
Arlington VA 22201