I've used both on a couple of small (personal) projects.

I used Forrest for my kids soccer team's web site.  I mean, come on, how
can you make things any simpler than executing "forrest seed"?

And I used Maven for a recent client.

I don't really care which one we use, but I think getting build,
documentation, and reports out of one tool instead of using two or three
is definitely enough to persuade my vote.

I'm +1 on Maven, but I agree that the L&F should be customized.

--
James Mitchell
Software Engineer / Struts Evangelist