From: Joerg Beekmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 2:19 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: html:password

I argued not to echo the password when this first came up. I still feel that
way and also feel there should not be a boolean allowing the password to be
echoed back. Not everyone who sets the boolean to echo will understand the
ramifications.

I also don't believe we would be doing the user a service by echoing the
password back, in fact quite the opposite. Think about it; presumably the
password is displayed in the form **** and is echoed back the same way. The
use doesn't know which characters are incorrect so will need to select the
entire password and retype it. It is simpler for them if the field is blank
and has focus in which case they just type the password again and enter. In
my experience that is the way logon dialogs work.

Joerg

www.livinglogic.de