Martin,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Actually, the plan is to build exactly this type of validation into Struts
> 1.1. In particular, I am hoping to incorporate it into the automated bean
> creation tool, one way or another.

Yup, I minutes after my lost post, I received the post for Volunteer for
Validation
Framework. Wish I had read that first! The validation stuff sure could
be interesting.

> The idea is to define your bean(s) in an XML file, and have the tool
> generate the actual bean code for you. When you define a bean, you can
> specify its type, along with some other validation rules (yet to be
> determined). The tool will create a validate() method, and that method will
> populate ActionErrors as appropriate.

> My original thought was to generate code based on the validation rules.
> However, David Winterfeldt has written an interesting validator that runs
> off an XML spec directly. This may be a better approach, in that you can
> modify the rules later without recreating the bean, among other things.

I was considering an approach where coders wrote validation code in Java
(we all know java!)
yet the Struts framework executed it. You would extend or implement a
common java class/interface defining a single method,
public ValidationErrors validate();  say.
That is then mapped to the form field in an xml file somewhere.

Struts, however could ship all the standard validations (such as Strings
to ints)
together.

It is something I have not given much thought to yet, but would be
interested in
exploring further.

> I'm not sure how this will all fall out in the end, but I will be very
> surprised if Struts 1.1 does not include ways of automating the creation of
> form beans, and ways of specifying validation rules without writing code.
> There are several people interested in working on each of these topics, so
> I expect lots of interesting discussion on each and on how to integrate them.

Sounds great!