A kind of  "screen configuration" (called instances) is proposed in
Components project, which can be seen as an extension of Templates.
  Screens are defined in a configuration file. You can also have different
configuration files for different Locale : appropriate screens will be loaded
according to user Locale.
  There is also an "inheritance"  mechanism allowing a screen to extend
another screen : you define your main screen, and derived other screens from
it, only changing what is relevant.
  To no more about Components :
    (main site) http://www.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/components/
   (mirror)      http://www.geocities.com/cedricdumoulin//components

  I am currently rewriting part of the code to allows easy addition of other
"configuration file reader". Like this, it will be possible to load instances
from, for example, a database. This will also allows dynamic change of
instances. Code rewriting will not affect actual  tags syntax.

   Cedric