Ned Seagoon wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Just wondering about the situation that arises when an Action class is
> changed in a running struts environment.
>
> I was under the impression that a single instance of an action class is
> created and run inside multiple threads, yet if I recompile the class and
> re-run the action then those changes are reflected.
>
> Is this peculiar to VisualAge for Java (which I am running under) or does
> this happen in every environment?
>
> Actually, this applies to all classes in a project - can I just change them
> at will or do I need to do something more?
>
> Doesn't Tomcat use a special class loader to reload changed servlet classes?

Tomcat uses a special class loader, but it is global to the entire web
app
rather than local to a particular class.  When Tomcat recognizes that
you have
changed a class, it reloads the entire app (destroying the old servlets,
initializing the new ones) and even saves your sessions and session
attributes
if they implement Serializable.

This capability is a feature of Tomcat that is commonly implemented, but
it's
not in the servlet spec.

> Regards
> Ned