You either need to use JDK1.3 or include <JAVA_HOME>/lib/tools.jar in the classpath of the servlet container.  I'm surprised that the Tomcat startup scripts did not do this for you.
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Fitzgerald [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 8:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Beginner question

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to run the examples that come with the latest version of Struts on Tomcat. However, when I point my browser at the example I get an internal servlet error (500) which offers this bit of information: javax.servlet.ServletException: sun/tools/javac/Main. It then tells me that the root cause of this is: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
Can anyone please offer some guidance.

Thank you,

Scott Fitzgerald