Nial-
To understand it a little better, does it mean that you do not allow
ActionServlet to call the validate() method on your GenericActionForm
since u do your validation in Action instead? Or I missed something!

Also, do you store your validation rules in some type of a XML file or
similar?

Further, I would imagine that your Action itself checks with the model for
any incorrect data in the form if it needs to?

I guess u still derive GenericActionForm from ActionForm

-Rajan