In our web application, we have two pages from which a user can access a
third page.  From the third page (which is form to fill out and save), the
user either saves or cancels their action, and the user is returned to the
page from which they originally started.  However, the third page has no
knowledge about where it came from so it doesn't no who to forward to when
its action is complete.

I'm not sure how best to handle this situation.  One option would be to use
a parameter on the link to the third page with a value indicating the page
to return to.  However, I'm using an <html:link> tag which is passing other
object related parameters on to the third screen (the form uses this
information to populate itself).  What I would like to do is get the
parameters from the object and then append another parameter which
indicates the page to return to but I can't do that and use the link
tag.  I'm toying with the idea of building a custom link tag which also
takes a "return" attribute.  This tag would put the return information in
the parameter list that gets generated.  Before I do that, however, I'm
wondering what other ways people have used to address this sort of problem?
(I assume that I'm not the only person to have encoutered this situation)

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.