As it stands, the "input" property in the Action Mapping is (4) a
default page. It is not meant so much to represent where the input
came from, but where to go to get more, so the ActionServlet knows
where to bounce the user if ActionForm validate fails.

For more complex needs, you can reserve validation for the Action
itself, where you can choose among multiple forwards.

I agree that we need more flow control, especially to do things like let
users login in from all over the place and then get them back to
whereever they were, or interpose a standard confirmation dialog and
then forward on to another action, or go off and look up a related value
and then continue adding a new record.

But none of these are ActionForm validate issues.

I believe the core problem here may be trying to do business logic or
other complex validations in the ActionForm rather in than the Action.
ActionForm validation is great for simple, domain-type validations. But
any validation that causes a problem here should be performed in the
Action instead where there is more "elbow room".

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/