From: Michelle Popovits [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 9:48 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Non-Web-based Application with STRUTS

Andy,

Perhaps you could create your application as an EJB application where the
application state, business logic, data access are all managed by the EJB
tier.  Create a set of workflow 'Session Facade' session ejb's to be your
interface between your various clients and your ejb business tier.  Also,
create a Business Delegate class which your java client classes will use to
communicate with the EJB tier (this will abstract the logic of ejb lookup
from the client/presentation logic).

Then you code your front ends to this EJB application:
1) a struts/jsp application that calls the ejb 'Session Facade' objects via
the business delegate.
2) a Java application that calls the ejb 'Session Facade' objects via the
business delegate.
3) if you are using a non-java client, then you may be able to access your
ejb layer using xml/rpc (web services).

In order for this multi-client approach to work, you may have to keep model
information that you would normally keep in the users HttpSession in the
workflow ('Session Facade') objects (otherwise you duplicate this logic in
the client.

When the application is developed this way, then the front-end applications
are simply used for view and to some degree flow of control.

See the J2EE Patterns catalog for more information on the design patterns I
mentioned above (Session Facade, Business Delegate, etc.) at
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/restricted/patterns/J2EEPatternsAtAG
lance.html

HTH,
Michelle