From: Ryan Cornia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 7:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Where do YOU put JDBC calls?

>From my understanding then -

I would have my Business Object class that wraps the table, lets call it Address.
I would have a DAO object that is specific to that Business object for the JDBC calls,
lets call it AddressDAO.

In Address, I would have loadAddress, DeleteAddress, InsertAddress, all of which would
call AddressDAO to do the actual JDBC call?

Any simple examples of these two classes that are not EJB's? Is this the route to go
if I'm not using EJB's?

Thanks,
Ryan

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/18/01 08:17AM >>>
Iam using the DAO(Data Access Object) design pattern for such Data access
situations. DAO is a layer of abstraction that works in conjunction with the
Business Object which is nothing but a container for business data. the
Business Object calls the DAO's business methods. The DAO's Business methods
wrap the JDBC Code for data base interaction. Its been explained clearly on
the J2EE blueprints section.Once you are done writing your DAO's, extend the
DAO into a session bean or use it seperately.

regards
pathangi r