Ted,

I read your rebuttal tonight re: Barracuda, and I have questions about
one of your points. Actually this has nothing to do with Barracuda:

-----

Reflection

Every recent report I've seen says reflection is no longer a point of
concern. Ditto for object creation and garbage collection. The latest
advice is that is can be more expensive to cache an object that recreate
it.

-----

This is incredibly important stuff! I'm sick to death of making tons of
EJB entity beans, and then "Value Objects" (or data objects) which are
very similar, and with Struts, "Form Beans" which again are very
similar. Often I wish I could just use generic property sets (using
HashMap, or any other generic collection). But I have resisted on
principle, because I thought it would be a poor performer compared to
"straight Java" variables and getters and setters. But here you are
saying "reflection is no longer a point of concern". What information
have you got in this regard?

Also, you go on to say 'ditto for objection creation", and that it's
"more expensive to cache an object than recreate it". Where are you
getting this information? It goes against the design considerations of
virtually every "highly optimized" Java system I've seen, including EJB
which goes to EXTREME lengths to reuse rather than recreate. You see the
same pattern with JSP custom tags (nowadays they are pooled), and you
even see the same thing in the Servlet spec design (which is to have one
multithreaded instance of the servlet class, rather than one per user
which would make more logical sense).

So, my apologies if this is off-topic of Struts, but these seem like
very important and impactful design issues, relevent (even if
peripherally) to good Struts design and development.

Thanks,

Bryan