I figured it out - I was stuffing hashmaps and rowsets into my ActionForms, and
then storing those in the session.  Because of the clustering configuration we
have in iPlanet, this error was being thrown for the reasons you state.

I fixed this my moving any non-serializable components into beans only kept in
the request.

Thanks,

Matt