From: "Matthew O'Haire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 03/10/2001 09:51 ZE10

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:
Subject:  RE: Struts MVC Framework Vs. XSLT Tranformation for Web UI Handli ng

A project I worked on recently used a Servlet/XML/XSLT design, where XML data was
retrieved from and EJB session layer and transformed into HTML using dynamically
generated XSL sheets (the customer could choose which elements they wanted in their
view... the combinations of selections allowed the XSL to be dynamically generated).
Very sweet.

Unfortunately it suffered from memory issues as some of the content was quite large
(300K+).  Holding the XML DOM in memory and performing the XSLT all consumed a huge
amount of RAM... it would work O.K. with a few users but clearly was going to have
scalability issues.  The speed of the XSL translation was also pretty dismal.

Time constraints made us switch to a more straight forward servlet design...

Things may have improved since this project (about 1.5 years ago) in terms of memory
and performance.  We didn't look at using SAX or anything else in that arena...

In hindsight I still think that the XSL stylesheet is just an extension of
presentation code.  I don't know many HTML/Creative types that know how to write
XSL... I'd guess that most of the time it will be technical people who write the
XSL... if that's the case, then why not use the language we know best, Java.  You can
write a "transformer/producer" class in Java for any given XML and output (HTML, XML,
etc).

Everything we wanted to achive can be done with Struts/JSP and some other things like
Tiles, and some "home grown" custom tags.  In the end we looked at the skills that we
had available and decided (on our next major project) to go the Struts route... and it
was a much more sucessful project.

Maybe you'll have more sucess with XSLT, and I wouldn't rule it out, certainly in
areas where it is a good fit.  If I was to use that technology again, I'd find the
bits that fit best (i.e. generating page segements) and mix the whole lot with
Struts...

Anyhow, good luck.
Matto.