the only way to do this with the 1.0 release is to embed your image and anchor
tags in your application resources file.  you could also consider placing the
error message directly beside or on top of the fields which generated the errors
by using <html:errors property="..."/>. if you're willing to upgrade to a more
recent version, or add the required classes and tags to your current
distribution, you could do something like the following.  (also see
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg16521.html.)

<ul>
       <li><bean:write name="message"/></li>
 </ul>