I found the problem, at least in my installation,
and maybe for others.

I have security turned on.  This causes all the
application accesses to local files (e.g.,
properties, struts-config.xml, etc.) to fail.
This isn't apparent since many of the methods
seem to silently swallow the security exception.

Unfortunately, I can't see how to fix this.
It should be possible to fix it by granting
permission in catalina.policy, but the spec
to give struts.jar permission, e.g.:
  grant codeBase
"file:${catalina.home}/webapps/struts-example/WEB-INF/lib/-" {
     permission java.security.AllPermission;
  };

doesn't work because of a Tomcat bug loading
libraries from /WEB-INF/lib.

Moving the lib to <tomcat>/common/lib also
seems to have problems with derived classes
in the /WEB-INF/classes classes.

Frank Lawlor
Athens Group, Inc.
(512) 345-0600 x151
Athens Group, an employee-owned consulting firm integrating technology
strategy and software solutions.