In my code I had accidentally typed:
   return mapping.findForward("succcess");

(note the 3 c's)

Instead of getting a runtime error my app just went
nowhere?

1) why doesn't findForward() throw an exception
rather than returning null?

2) more generally, I am concerned about errors
that you cannot discover until runtime and then
only by ensuring you have tested every possible
situation.

One of the important things about Java is the
emphasis on catching things at compile time.
It would be good in the design of Struts to keep
some focus on allowing error detection at
compile time, or at least at application init.

In the above case for example, there may be some way to
use static constants rather than strings.  It would
be good to look at some of the other Struts elements.

This may not seem like a big deal to some people,
but I remember well the 'bad old days' of maintaining
applications with interpreted code.  Runtime discovery
of bugs is a bad characteristic for quality apps.

"Introspect, don't interpret".

Frank Lawlor
Athens Group, Inc.
(512) 345-0600 x151
Athens Group, an employee-owned consulting firm integrating technology
strategy and software solutions.