Matt,

That sounds like an interesting approach.  Don't get sidetracked thinking of
an action "emiting" something.  You'll want to forward to a view component
that does what you like.  Cocoon might be of interest to you as well.

I like server side styling.
My actions forward to a view which gets the content from request/session
scope.  That way entire sites are composed of one main content JSP.  Here's
an example of how I've been styling content.  I just turn in into a string
and place that into request or session scope.  The jsp ( could be anything,
templates, whatever ) picks it up and inlines it.  So it's similar to
getting string properties from beans.

In this example I'm styling only a particular node of an XML document, which
of course could be the root node, or a child node withing a dom.

Vic C. likes client side styling as well.  I'm trying to understand that
point of view but currently I think it's just not a good idea.

Taylor

----------------
    protected String getContent (Element node, String xsl) throws
IOException,
            TransformerException {
        ServletContext context = getServlet().getServletContext();
        // check if style sheet exists at specified location
        if (context.getResource(xsl) == null)
            throw  new IOException("Style sheet named " + xsl + " cannot be
found.");
        StreamSource styleSheet = new
StreamSource(context.getResourceAsStream(xsl));
        DOMSource xmlSource = new DOMSource(node);
        StringWriter sw = new StringWriter();
        StreamResult result = new StreamResult(sw);
        Transformer t = factory.newTransformer(styleSheet);
        t.transform(xmlSource, result);
        return  sw.toString();
    }