I tried compiling under Window and got similar results. I'm not sure what I
was compiling when I got the javax problem, but here's (the beginning) of
what I get when compiling User.java from the struts-example:

>From with in this directory:

c:\jakara-tomcat-3.2.1\webapps\struats-example\web-inf\src\apache\struts\web
app\example

I type:

javac User.java

and get:

User.java:234: cannot resolve symbol
symbol : class Subscription
location: class org.apache.struts.webapps.example.User
        public Subscription findSubscription(String host)

                . . .

I assume the root problem is the compiler isn't finding struts.jar, but I
put it the classpath environment var & I've also tried javac -classpath
c:\jakara-tomcat-3.2.1\webapps\struats-example\web-inf\lib\struts.jar
User.java.