as I seem to be the "expert" of iplanet 4.1 in this forum i'll give you my
advice...(why would anyone use this crappy server)

Im currently running struts WITHOUT taglibs on iplanet 4.1

I posted a HOWTO in this forum a week ago

As they say

Try before you cry:
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user%40jakarta.apache.org/

It is possible to use taglibs, ive have done it myself, but unfortunately I
misplaced my notes and i dont really have any incentive to walk that path
again...

pls contact me at mikkel at helenius dot org if you have any questions...

Mikkel